Sunday, August 2, 2009

Patience Grasshopper


I will be showing my age (not that it is a secret) with this post. I do not know how many of you will recall this, I saw it as the first run way back in 1972. The scene is a Shaolin Temple. A young boy, Caine, approaches an old blind monk, Master Po, the boy is impetuous but the Master puts him in his place.

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Caine: No.
Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

From that point on the Master calls the boy "Grasshopper". Many times in later dialogs Caine is impatient with his progress in training, the Master often retorts, "Patience Grasshopper". I need to heed the Master's advice as well.

I am about to enter week four "on the patch". And I can say at least this, the ride goes up and down. I have yet to see the physical complaints that some have, but in my case they have mostly come in my mood. It ranges from elated to dejected. I am not talking about a dysfunctional set of extremes, far from it. To date it has mostly manifest in self doubt, mostly about my appearance. Frustration in some cases about not being further along, making realizations that I am not as far along as I might think I am on any given day and on, some days, down enough to consider bagging the whole exercise. Now I am talking about transition, not life, so everybody relax.

The good news is I am smart enough to know that the chemistry is part of what is making me oscillate like that annoying fan in the corner of the room. Back and forth, back and forth. I am practically a pendulum. You could strap me in a clock and I could power it with some regularity. I am hoping that the effect dampens over time. Note that I have not been so frustrated that I have removed the patch. No it stays. It stays at least until I can see that it does something for me, or against me as the case may be. It might stay for forever (or at least a really long time). I do not know yet.

I need to keep perspective. I only really got started on this path since the beginning of this calendar year. Sure I started the laser on the face last October but that takes no real effort on my part to perform. I keep trying to tell myself "Sharon, you have only been at this for seven months, it takes a while". I know from talking to several other girls that there is a lot of internal pressure to move this along. And in many cases girls go full time well before their "planned" date. I totally get why.

One of the challenges I am finding to be the hardest is the moving between persona's. I know there are some of us who are exactly the same person regardless of their presentation. Congratulations, however I am not one of them. I am very concerned about how comfortable those I am interacting with are perceiving me. And probably to my detriment. My mother noted this this weekend when she saw me. It might partially be the curse of knowledge but she said I know you are less inhibited but there is something about your demeanor that is bothering me. It seems to happen when other people are around. I asked what, but she said that she could not put a finger on it. It was some combination of arrogance and being disingenuous.

I though about that for a long time. Then it hit me, she is talking about me in guy mode. And then I realized that I had lost my "mojo". Meaning my ability to be a guy, at ease with myself, in public. It looked contrived, mom noticed it. And here I thought I was doing a great job passing as a guy. I told her it is the context switch of the persona. It is easy to be Sharon. But everything else is hard. Like a pedal powered helicopter, stop peddling, you fall out of the sky. I told her since I have been spending more and more time as Sharon, my guy impression is having problems.

She asked me, is it hard to go back and forth? What a loaded question, but I guess a natural one if you do not have GID. I said it is getting harder. And the fact that you picked up on me not being quite right means others are going to too, and probably soon.

I had friends laughing at me recently. When I got started I told them I had a five year plan. Ha ha ha ha. Now I currently have a no year plan, I kind of just punted on it for now. Things will happen as soon as they can happen. There will be no numbers mocking me from a calendar. I suddenly remember a cartoon with Ralph Phillips day dreaming about a battle with numbers on a calendar. I liked that one.

But this all begs the question. What am I waiting for? Doh, right, separation, custody case, place to live, come out to partners, employees and customers. But that is not all. Like Grasshopper, I need some more training. I have some trials to pass. I want my hair to be mine (FT with wig does not appeal to me, apologies to those sisters who have no choice, I feel your pain). I would like to get to my real weight, see a little development maybe. Then maybe it will be time to take the plunge. But how long is the right amount of time. Six more months, a year, two? Dunno.

In the meantime that frustration of not being there yet is killing me (not literally like not accepting who I am was). I want to be done, it is like kids in the days before Christmas. The desire to open those packages is almost overwhelming. But I know, and have even advised others, this takes time to do its work. And so I wait, tick, tock, tick, tock. And I hear the Master's voice. "Patience Grasshopper, Patience"



7 comments:

  1. I never really liked the show, but I often tell people that when they can snatch the stone from my hand, they will be ready.

    I'm no expert, but I thought the patch was less efficient than injections. Squeamish?

    It sounds like you're keeping a level head despite the mood swings. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am told injections are "fastest" but my Endo seems to like the patch. So I will go with it for now, check the numbers in a bit and see if it works. If not then I will move on. If the Endo does not want to "move" with me then I suppose I can get somebody new...

    Squeamish! Hardly. If you told me there was a shot for this I would take a dozen on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    I hope I am not commenting too much on your blog. I certainly did not like the "know-it-alls" during my transition, and I sometimes hear their voices in my own now.

    But I will resist (or really gloss over, as usual) my fear that I am being too forward. ;)

    First, you are doing fine! I remember that you decided to take it slow. You can reassss that now if you want, and you can start a program that will get you the physical changes sooner. But the answer to slowness may not be to give up, but to go faster.

    The patch IM(very)HO, is about the slowest possible way to go, excluding botanicals. Personally I do not believe the patch is good for much other than birth control or minimal menopausal management. Someone just starting to counter decades of testosterone, and with still working testes, needs a bit more help IMHO.

    I am years preop, don't have a particular problem with residual male characteristics (I hope, at least), and am still on a higher equivalent dose of estrogen than what the patch would give you.

    We are not like menopausal women -- well, maybe I am now, but not during transition. We are more like teenage girls that happened to get stuck with working testes and a few decades of testosterone poisoning. We have real isssues to address, not merely sperm to dodge or moods to maintain. We need "teenage girl - plus" levels of estrogen, not old lady levels.

    A responsible (but aggressive) endo with experience in this area will easily go up to 8 mg estradiol (or 5 mg premarin)along with androgen inhibitors for a healthy, early middle-aged m2f preop. The injectables are fine too, but I can't help you there.

    Even then, you really have to give it a few months to startseeing dramatic results. (No worries, they will make more.)

    But the central thing is that you are doing absolutely fine, whatever you decide about the medication! You are making huge progeress, given your situation, and you have huge potential. We are always the main ones that hold ourselves back. We are our own harshest critics.

    Yes, we remain our harshest critics. Just as it has been all our lives. And this self-criticism is what led to all the delay. Is it something to embrace now? Or to get beyond?

    Think about how far you come. Yeah, we all have far to go, but that is the fun in life.

    Best wishes! I always like to read your blog.I know it is mainly for people in transition, but you are a friend (at least I think of you that way) and I am a blabbermouth. This is what comes out fo that equation. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry meant to say years post-op.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it had to be a typo :)

    Keep responding, it does two things for me. First it lets me know that there is anybody out there listening. Second, I am learning best from those who have gone before me. And that is a priceless commodity.

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I think the patches are working just fine for me. Not only the physical changes, but my emotional side now has a side it didn't have before. It felt like there was a wall & I couldn't get to the other side, now I can.

    On the integration, I think that comes with time, especially when one is transitioning slowly. It's like the practice helps you smooth out the differences tween the two sides, kind of like drywall mud at a seam... ;-)

    You know me, you know I'm a fan of going slow. during transition, I found myself passing through territory I realized I'd never pass through again - that in-between land. Odd of me, I know (even my therapist said so), but I enjoyed watching the scenery from that in-between place. I found that slow pace gave me a lot of time to do mental adjustments, which I think many of us will agree, are often more important than the physical changes. And it gave time for those around me, those closest to me, to adapt and stay with me, which has been priceless.

    I too felt, in the past, the need to transition NOW, and frankly, I'm glad I didn't do it that way back then. I sing the praises of going slow, although I realize it's not for everybody. Heck, judging by statistics, it's not for many of us. But I like it.

    My point, and I think I do have one, is, try and appreciate all the aspects of the freeway jam you;re stuck in. Enjoy the scenery wherever you are, however fast or slow you're going. Watch your emotions, study yourself, appreciate every moment of being alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grasshopper, remember two things.

    The journey of a thousand miles.... and the joy IS in the journey.......

    I cannot say what works better, yet I believe the older we are, the better the patch is for us with reducing risks of clotting, etc.

    As your friend, I feel you are progressing exactly at the rate you are progressing. Are you okay with that? Yes? then good. No? then do sometime about it. (Sounds like sharon advice to me!)

    Love ya and keep the dream alive!

    J

    ReplyDelete